Thursday's Child

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Jesus bless America. My Home Sweet Home!

Saw this on another blog, and the image stuck in my head and sent me back for a second look. Is Lady Liberty re-thinking her position? "Give me your tired, your poor, your Christians yearning to impose their faith on all...." When the blindfold comes off, will she be shocked to see that her torch of freedom has been replaced by what seems to me to be a threatening cross? And are the Ten Commandments now featured on her tablet? Seems to me this is clear violation of the separation of church and state. She's long been a symbol of all that makes us great---our welcoming embrace of diversity. And where is she? This is from a Memphis newspaper: The cross-bearing statue stands in front of the World Overcomers Outreach Ministries Church, a perfect spot, says pastor Apostle Alton R. Williams, for passersby to think about their relationship with God. (I got this circuitously, but ultimately from a blog called Tennessee Guerilla Women, via someone who posted a comment here, so thanks!)

2 Comments:

  • At 8:52 AM, Blogger Victoria said…

    That's quite a picture! Did someone really go to the trouble to make that statue of anti-liberty or is that photo-shopped? HORRORS!

     
  • At 4:58 PM, Blogger CS said…

    World Overcomers Outreach? I think that says it all.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home